Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Keeping Time

Last night I went to a concert featuring tabla master Zakir Hussain. It was an amazing musical performance, his skill with the tabla is simply mind blowing. I don't think I've ever heard a drum that could have so many different tones and sounds. Nor have I heard a player who could play so fast, with rhythm, and complexity. Equally impressive is the improvisiational nature of the music, having to completely focus on the other instrument and play in a complimentary fashion. At that level, it really doesn't seem like the artist is 'thinking', but simply 'flowing' with the music. I wonder how people get into that 'flow' state, and what exactly it is. Is it a different brain process, or perhaps a very well tuned neural network? Would it be possible for a computer to get into a 'flow', maybe a parictular algorithim or hardware design?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The best comment I ever heard to describe this magic was from Sridhar Nagarajan, who sat next to me at a U. Srinivas concert during the Madras music festival: "Man, those guys are hammering out some crazy new math!"

MBJ