Friday, November 24, 2006

India Trip: Dehradun part 1

Old broom
We left for Dehradun on the Shatabdi express train around 7 am. It was a quick, pleasant ride other than the fact that about 2 hours into the ride I started feeling really nauseous. I've never gotten motion sick on a train before, and I think it had something to do with the malaria medication we're taking. At one point I was standing by the doorway so that I could get some fresh air as the train rolled along. That helped alot, although I think the train guy thought I was acting a bit weird. In about 5 hours we reached the Dehradun (DDun) station.

From the train station it was a quick rickshaw ride over to Shveta's house. On the outer gate there was a sign reading "Prem Puri / Ravish Puri". The ride over was fairly pleasant, much better than driving in the big cities of Delhi/Bombay. We went into the front gate and were greeted by Shveta's grandma and some family friends. It was comforting to know that we'd be staying put for a while, giving my stomach a break, although for some reason riding in a rickshaw gave me no motion illness at all. The house is very nice, and has a cute little backyard area with a swing. There are quite a few rooms, one of which is occupied by their friends who take care of grandma.

After a bit of rest and some lunch we toured around DDun a bit, visiting some old schools of her parents, and the Tibetan marketplace. I was hoping to find a nice Tibetan souvenir, but the marketplace was packed with stalls selling jackets and clothes. The Tibetan aspect of the marketplace was the fact that all the stores were owned by Tibetans. As the sun began to set we headed back to the house to settle in for the evening.

No comments: